I'm not sure why I feel compelled to begin this blog. I see it as an outlet to document my college years and my engagement/wedding, to discuss issues, and anything else I find amusing. I guess we'll see where it takes me; where it ends up.
I have just begun my second semester of my sophomore year in college. It's really going by so fast. In the spring of my freshman year, I realized I was miserable as an English major (no offense to those English majors out there, but it was simply not for me). In my classes, we read books and wrote papers, all of which I had been anticipating. This was what college-level English was about; dissecting and probing literature. This misery was quite a surprise. English was always something I had excelled in at school and my chosen career had been to be an author and work in a publishing house. English as a subject, hobby, and career was comforting, because I had grown up with it, after all. It had always been there, like a childhood friend. But I yearned for the days I could just read books for pleasure or write creatively (without MLA citations) and create characters and stories from my imagination. By entering college, I think you reach a new level of honesty with yourself. If you aren't happy, you simply have to change what is causing that unhappiness, even if that means giving up your "life plan" and all you thought you had known.
So, I changed.
Interior Design is where I'm at now, and I couldn't be happier. (Although, I must admit, the afternoon I officially changed my major, I did have a tiny panic attack in which my mother had to calm me down and reassure me that this was a great change). I am grateful to have the opportunity to be able to take all of these stimulating art classes, and yes, I am even grateful for my architectural drafting class which I endured last semester. Let's just say, it was a love/hate relationship.
Changing my major was the first of three major life-changing decisions I've made in the past year. (The other two, I'll post about later....maybe). I think that by beginning this blog with this topic is a way for everyone to finally know WHY that happened, because believe me, I was asked that question quite often.
Currently, I am on Day 4 of being out of school due to snow and ice. (The above picture was shot from our balcony). I was getting extreme cabin fever yesterday, so J and I escaped our apartment and ventured out to the nearest grocery store. May I just say, after being stuck in an 800-sq. ft. apartment for 3 days, it was nice to be among civilization again. I suppose I should get dressed (even though I am not going anywhere, except maybe to the mailbox later on if the mailman delivers my much anticipated Netflix).
Until next time....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment